Gustavo F. Camelino
☏ Direct: 416.306.3834
Gus is an experienced trial lawyer with a nearly 20 year career acting for persons involved in serious injury cases and in civil disputes generally. He prides himself on his ability to provide sound and practical legal advice to clients who are often dealing with complex legal issues that have significant and far-reaching impacts on their lives. Gus makes sure that every client is fully engaged in their case so that they can make informed decisions about how their matter should proceed.
While based in Toronto, Gus’ practice has taken him all over Ontario including the Niagara region, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, the Sioux Lookout and many places in between. He has experience with clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries from motor vehicle accidents and falls including traumatic brain injuries, amputations, spinal cord injuries, jaw fractures and serious limb fractures requiring surgery.
Gus has a proven track record. Most recently, he acted for a young Ottawa man who suffered a traumatic brain injury from a vicious attack during the dying seconds of a men’s rec-league hockey game and won the highest ever award in Ontario for a hockey related injury – Casterton v. MacIsaac, 2020 ONSC 190; he successfully defended a landscape contractor in an action brought by a plaintiff that was injured when she stepped on a crab-apple and fell – Mackin v. Valiant Rental Properties 2017 ONSC 4627; he has resolved a myriad of injury cases over his career relating to fractured bones, spinal cord injuries, social-host liability, occupiers liability.
Gus also has extensive experience acting for parties in commercial disputes and has achieved positive results for a diverse array of clients including:
- a midwifery clinic in a restraint of trade case – Amma Midwives v. Singh 2019 ONSC 3989
- a trustee in bankruptcy in an important case with implications for both bankruptcy and family law – Toronto-Dominion Bank v. Phillips 2014 ONCA 613
- an auto finance company – Zeldin v. Daimler Chrysler Financial Services Inc. 2010 ONSC 1363
- a commercial landlord – Ciprietti (Sports Obsession) v. OPB Realty Inc. 2008 CanLII 32314
- an international construction company – Vector Construction Ltd. v. Finn Way General Contractor 2008 CanLII 4794
- a wrongfully convicted person – Re Walsh 2008 NBCA 33
- an insurance premium finance company – Re Stelco (Bankruptcy) 2005 CanLII 13192
Year of Call 2002 Bachelor of Laws, Dalhousie Law School, 2000 Master of Arts, University of Western Ontario, 1996 Bachelor of Arts, Brock University, 1995
The Law Society of Ontario – member since 2002 Member of the Model Order Subcommittee of the Commercial List Users Committee, Toronto Past Vice-Chair of the Insolvency Section of the Ontario Bar Association Past member of the Service Protocol Subcommittee of the Model Order Subcommittee of the Commercial List Users Committee, Toronto The Canadian Bar Association Toronto Lawyers Association The Advocates’ Society